Fiction is art; fiction is life.
Our reality is constructed literally; even though it is one’s experience itself that actualizes reality, language is what facilitates an awareness of an experience’s form and allows it to be reified. Simply organizing words can evoke whole worlds into existence, and that is something I find incredibly creatively inspiring. The Cartesian divide between what is fiction and what is non-fiction continues to fascinate. All narrative is a fiction of sorts. The written word is a sort of fiction within a fiction, too down to the assumption of permanence that it still seems to inspire in contemporary society. I enjoy a good story, and I spend what time I can reading and writing, and sharing a bit of that here too.
“Fiction is a piece of truth that turns lies into meaning.”Dorothy Allison
What I’m reading
I’m currently reading N.K. Jemisin’s The Broken Earth trilogy. I’ve only just started the first book, The Fifth Season, but I’m already drawn into the narrative style. I’m not sure if I’ve seen a similar use of authorial voice in other fiction, and it’s inspirational as much as it is enjoyable. The characters I have met so far also feel dynamic, and I’m looking forward to progressing through this series.
- Emergent Dawn: Fractures of ArxisI’m excited that I started another setting in the Augur’s Lore universe, called “Emergent Dawn: Fractures of Arxis.” Kind of staking my Internet claim for […]
- The Forged Earth OverviewA sketch for further development in the Forged Earth setting. The fracture. That’s what the clerics call the earth-shattering events that gave rise to our […]
- ReminiscenceI sketched this short a while back while waiting in an airport. “Hurry, they’re almost to the bridge! Val stood as close as they could […]
- Kaithel’s Song of the Pale Stone, part 3Building this story here as sketches with the hopes to flesh it out more. Set in the Augur’s Lore: Song of the Pale Stone Universe. […]
- Kaithel’s Song of the Pale Stone, part 2Building this story here as sketches with the hopes to flesh it out more. Set in the Augur’s Lore: Song of the Pale Stone Universe. […]
- Kaithel’s Song of the Pale Stone, part 1Building this story here as sketches with the hopes to flesh it out more. Set in the Augur’s Lore: Song of the Pale Stone Universe. […]
- The Chronicles of Taebryn Kayatlaen in the Northlands: Act I, Last days in Mercania[This is a series I began years ago that I wanted to revive and expand upon here.] 8th day of the third week of Arn-monath, […]
- The Anyman: Genesis, part 3PART THREE: “You crazy son of a bitch,” James said with a flick of his finger against the shiny, silver bars pinned to Gerry’s dress […]